TAUGHT BY: Ms. Hess & Mrs. Beach
Advanced Culinary is an interesting and interactive class that incorporates and expects students to learn the theory and preparation principles of protein and the five main sauces. We will also focus on sanitation needs, trends, concepts, as well as culinary techniques. Food preparation is only a small portion of class participation.
Be advised that this is not an eating class. It is a great class but it is also a working class. We will learn the theory and principles regarding many cooking techniques in addition to having numerous lab experiences.
What we do:
- Review basic techniques while incorporating new information.
- Safety and sanitation, basic tools and equipment and preparation techniques, knife skills, meal planning and budgeting.
- Meat Types, Portions, and Preparation Techniques:
- Compare and contrast meat cookery: moist versus dry heat, meat types (beef, poultry, pork, and seafood), and fat-reduction techniques.
- Five Main Sauce Types:
- Bechamel (white sauce), veloute (chicken, fish, veal-stock based white sauce), espangnole (brown sauce), tomato (reduction sauce), and butter sauce (example: Hollandaise)